THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF DENTISTS FOR YOUR ORAL IMPERFECTIONS
Modern dentistry has evolved so far that going to the dentist for check-ups and routine treatments are no longer the main focus of a dentist. The profession has expanded and most dental practitioners now have specialties in one or more fields of dentistry. Here are just some of these fields.
- General dentist – A general dentist is your family dentist who takes care of your oral health. Most of their work is related to preventative dental care to improve your health condition. This includes – digital X –rays, regular cleanings and educating patients on proper oral care habits at home.
- Restorative oral care - The dentists in Wimbledon like that of other places, are responsible for restorative oral care like treating tooth decay by replacing with fillings, repairing chipped, cracked or missing teeth, and whitening services. They also help in treating oral problems caused due to gum disease and root issues below the gum line.
- Orthodontist – If you want to correct teeth misalignment, jaw problems and support facial muscles, your orthodontist will suggest wearing braces. They work for improving the bite of people by designing customised braces, mouthguards, clear trays, retainers, facemasks and headgear that corrects development problems. These devices improve the bone structure and gaps in your teeth.
- Oral surgeon – Oral surgeons treat the hard and soft tissues in and around your mouth. These tissues consist of the cheeks, lips, gums, tongue, had palate, soft palate and facial tissues. They are given proper training in the hospitals after they complete dental schooling and perform surgeries like complicated tooth extractions and surgical jaw corrections. They perform reconstructive surgeries, cleft lip or cleft palate surgeries, cancerous tissue extraction, biopsies, facial infections and sleep apnea.
- Periodontist – Periodontists are mainly concerned with diagnosing, treating and preventing gum diseases. This includes treating gum inflammation, periodontal disease, tooth implants and performing skin grafting on the gums. You need the help of a Periodontist when it involves extensive work to be done on gums. An important part of periodentics is treating gum disease and they advise dentists on different treatment plans and prevention that work according to the lifestyle of the patients.
- Prosthodontist – They are responsible for oral prostheses that replace your decayed, damaged or missing teeth. In simple words, oral prostheses are false teeth that consist of bridges, crowns, implants, veneers and dentures. These replacements are cosmetic and functional as they improve the ability to bite, chew and speak effectively. They work closely with the dental labs that form artificial teeth and oral appliances to ensure the customization and quality of the prostheses they work are the perfect fit for every patient.
- Endodontist – The inner part of the tooth protected by the hard enamel and inner layer of dentin are found beneath the gumline. This soft and sensitive tissue is an important part of the tooth that endodontists usually focus on and are called the pulp. The tooth pulp can become damaged, inflamed, or rotten due to decay, injury, or trauma and should be treated or removed.
You may visit Wimbledon Dental Practice where different types of dentists are there to treat your oral complications and solve them easily.